Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Local, Local...My Millennials Like To Support Other Local Entrepreneurs



Posted by: LeeAnn Taylor


Okay, so they may not all be entrepreneurs in the literal sense but they do fancy themselves entrepreneurs at heart. And the heart is certainly where it counts in their decisions to purchase locally sourced products and brands. Millennials undoubtedly believe that the quality they get from local sourcing is much higher. They trust the little guys. They desire the transparency they feel they get from small businesses (that’s you!!) and it feeds their mindset to advance and support their communities. So here is where you have the upper hand my independent grocer operator… because you can spin on a dime and bring in locally sourced products and goods without an ‘act of congress” occurring. So why not? WalMart, Target and those others are losing them…and those Millennials are yours to gain.

I think my middle Millennial speaks this local language frequently so I called him for his perspective debut. Here’s his spin. “Typically local meat and produce has not been shipped and stored for long long periods of time and has less chemical additives and steroids.  Definitely fresher, usually costs less, but it helps my local economy as well and that’s important to me. I like knowing where my food comes from.”


He’s not alone apparently. If you have the time I suggest you give this a quick read.


So, where do you start? I’ve run across so many local produce and meat sourcing organizations in my research the past few months. F2SN, Farm To Table, Rocky Mountain Farms, I could go on forever. If all else fails try localharvest.org. Give it a whirl guys, create a small perishable local section and market your Millennials. Don’t forget there are plenty of center store products as well. Every city has local vendors out there peddling their wares so bring them in, give them some shelf space, guide the Millennials to them and give it some time…..you’ll be grateful you did.


#Grandmillennial



Blue Skies Everyone

No comments: